1. What’s the _____ between New York and Chicago?
A. length B. length C. length D. length
2. The earth _____ the necessary amount of heat and light from the sun.
A. supply B. supplies C. provides D. requires
3. Please don’t forget to _____ your essays during Friday’s lesson.
A. handle in B. hand in C. hand D. handle
4. The teacher asked some questions to make _____ that the student understood the text.
A. good B. true C. sure D. believe
5. Ivan tells me he really _____ himself at your barbecue last week.
A. pleased B. played C. interested D. enjoyed
6. They were accused of interfering in China’s internal _____.
A. affairs B. matter C. thing D. concern
7. The debate will _____ place tonight.
A. be B. have C. take D. make
8. Some drugs produce bad side _____.
A. consequences B. results C. products D. effects
9. Carl wasn’t very good at mountain climbing as he’s afraid of _____.
A. Highs B. heights C. highness D. heightening
10. She kept practicing _____ she could win the National Speaking Competition.
A. so that B. to C. in order to D. because of
11. The old temple _____ roof was damaged in a storm is now under repair.
A. where B. which C. its D. whose
12. The engineers are so busy that they don’t have time for outdoors sports activities, _____ they have the interests.
A. wherever B. whenever C. even if D. as if
13. Never _____ a greater day in the history of mankind.
A. did there be B. was there C. there was D. there has been
14. Bill asked me why _____ to go shopping with me.
A. I hadn’t invited him B. hadn’t I invited him
C.I hadn’t him invited D. hadn’t him I invited
15. There are _____ Chinese restaurants in New York City as in Boston.
A. twice as many B. twice as much
C. as twice many D. as twice much
16. If we _____ enough rain last year, we could have gained a good harvest.
A. have B. had C. have had D. had had
17. We _____ today and I got into trouble because I hadn’t done it.
A. had our homework checked B. had checked our homework
C.were checked our homework D. have checking our homework
18. Let’s walk to the shops instead of taking the car, _____?
A. shall we B. don’t we C. will you D. won’t we
19. I am beginning to think that ____ people say about him is true.
A. which B. who C. / D. what
20. At the shopping centre, he didn’t know what _____ and _____ with an empty bag.
A. to buy; leave B. to be bought; left
B. to buy; left D. was to buy; leave
21. He felt a stone _____ his back.
A. Hitting B.hit C. hitted D. to hit
22. The soldier rushed into the cave, his right hand _____ a gun and his face _____ with sweat.
A. held; covered B. holding; covering
C. holding; covered D. held; covering
23. I won’t believe you ____ I have seen it with my own eyes.
A. before B. until C. after D. when
24. Tom will call me as soon as he _____ Beijing.
A. will leave B. is leaving C. leave D. leaves
25. On Sundays there were a lot of children playing in the park, _____ parents seated together joking.
A. their B. whose C.which D. that